Some of you who are on Facebook may have heard of the SHMILY (See How Much I Love You) challenge. Women are agreeing to read “The Power of a Praying Wife” by Stormie Omartian — one chapter a day. At the end of each chapter we are to follow the “prayer” for our husbands. If you want to join, it isn’t too late.
I just finished the first chapter and wow — I wish I could just pour every bit of the “meat” out on this blog for you. But since most people don’t stick with LONG posts — here are some highlights..
* You have the means to establish a hedge of protection around your marriage!
* You can pray for your husband to be released from whatever controls him: alcoholism, workaholism, laziness, depression, infirmity, abusiveness, anxiety, fear, or failure.
* We must confess all unforgiveness towards our husbands and have pure hearts as we lift them up in prayer.
* A wife’s prayers for her husband have a far greater effect on him than anyone else’s.
* When we pray, our hearts soften and we get a vision.
* Our prayer needs to be, “CHANGE ME LORD!”
* We must die to self, but it is the kind of death that leads to LIFE.
* When you pray for your husband, the love of God will grow in your heart for him. Not only that, you’ll find love growing in his heart for you, without him even knowing you are praying. (Prayer is the ultimate love language.)
* Nagging and criticism don’t work!
* Ask God to show us when to speak and when to be silent.
* We are the heart of the home and should make it a peaceful sanctuary.
* Wives should also keep themselves healthy and attractive for our husbands.
* Stormie believes we not only bring defeat into our marriages and our husbands when we don’t have respect for them, but she feels it shuts the door to new life in us as well.
* A wife must not humiliate her husband no matter how much she thinks he deserves it. The price is too high.
* Love is diminished if we dwell on the negatives. Love grows if we focus on the positive.
I could write a post on each bullet-point, trust me. By the grace of God, my husband and I will celebrate our 20th anniversary in November. I had to learn many of the lessons THE HARD WAY. I still need correction in areas and so far this chapter is very convicting.
I hope these points do a work in someone else’s heart as well. I recommend purchasing this little book.
If you are on facebook and want to find the group/event page, do a search for SHMILY. The creator of the group is Amy at Dandelion Seeds. Hop over to her blog and join in the challenge/discussion.